Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pants

I never realised how tricky it would be to do my laundry. I'm not a snob, I'd quite happily go to the laundrette, or wash my clothes in the sink and hang them up to dry, except that things don't dry in my room. The t-shirt that I wore in the sea and hung up in the rail in the bathroom was still damp a week later.

So, I thought there must be a laundry service somewhere, I don't mind paying, but I don't know who to ask. Someone had mentioned that there was a place in the TechnoMall that did laundry, so I asked how to find it. He phoned the receptionist to ask her to call the place. She couldn't get through and so asked someone else. Eventually it turns out the place has shut. The receptionist recommends that I get my stuff dry cleaned instead. Dry clean my socks?! Plus it'll take a week she says. Someone else offers me the use of their washing machine, which is very kind, but I found out that there is one downstairs that I can use if I wish. However still nowhere to dry clothes.

But wait, salvation is at hand, one of the guys staying in the same lodge as me reckons the porter in the lodge can do it for me, and dry it as well. He'll even iron my clothes for an extra fee.
"Great" I say, packing my stuff into a bag ready to give to him the next day.

In the morning just as I am about to pass the bag over, he asks if it is just shirts and trousers. "No" says I, my undies are in there too. Tut Tut, "He won't wash your undergarments."

Oh.

"Well in that case can he show me to the washing machine and I'll chuck 'em in myself.?"
"No, he washes them by hand."
Ah, now I see why he won't do my undies.

I gave my shirts to the guy, and washed the rest in a bucket.

Shirts came back beautifully pressed and folded the next morning, underwear took 3 days to dry, draped over a plastic chair directly under the full blast of the ceiling fan.

Perhaps if this Project Management stuff doesn't work out I can make a killing selling Tumble Dryers in Kerala?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home