Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Wedding Ceremony

I set my alarm for 3.30 am, so as to have time to have a shower and walk back to the wedding hall. When I woke up, and woke Anand up, I was told that the ceremony starts at 4.30, but that we need not attend the first hour or so, as long as we are there for the tying of the cord. So we went back to sleep


When we did arrive at the ceremony it was well underway, the congregation ( if that is the right term ) were sat on the chairs in front of the stage. The ceremony taking place under a bamboo construction adorned with garlands of flower petals, candles, incense and surrounded by a crowd of onlookers. Unlike the weddings that I have attended before it was perfectly acceptable to stand on the stage and get a closer look. No one seemed in the slightest bit concerned at camera flashes, people trying to distract the groom, or telling jokes to each other.



There were many rituals performed, apparently they differ from sect to sect. When I arrived the bride and groom were washing the feet of various couples, whom I assumed to be senior relatives. There was much tossing of rice, exchange of artifacts, and prayer. I’m told that the most important part of the ceremony is when the groom ties a knot in the cord that the bride is wearing around her neck.



This was the part with the most throwing of rice, smiling and photographs, however the ceremony was to continue for some time, as there were many rituals left to perform.


The assembled congregation obviously considered the important part to be over, when I turned to look back, they had already gone through to the food hall for the wedding breakfast.











2 Comments:

Blogger Praks said...

Hi Mike,
Thanks a bunch for making it to my marriage and I hope you enjoyed your time there, certainly it'd have been a new kind of experience. More Photos are here -
"http://www33.brinkster.com/praks/wedding/"

4:13 PM  
Blogger Praks said...

Hi Mike,
Thanks a bunch for making it to my marriage and I hope you enjoyed your time there, certainly it'd have been a new kind of experience. More Photos are here -
"http://www33.brinkster.com/praks/wedding/"

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home